Apply Today


A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a post baccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Pell Grant). The maximum yearly award is determined by the Department of Education. The amount a student receives depends on financial need as determined by the FAFSA, costs to attend school, the student’s status as a full-time or part-time student, and plans to attend school for a full academic year or less.


This program is a campus-based program administered directly by the Financial Aid office at the school. Unlike the Federal Pell Grant program, which provides funds to every eligible student, the campus-based program provides a certain amount of funds for each participating school to administer each year. When the money for the program is gone, no more awards can be made from that program for that year. This program is
for students who demonstrate exceptional financial need on the FAFSA. Pell Grant recipients with the lowest EFCs will be the first to receive FSEOG.

These grant funds are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree.


The Federal Subsidized Student Loan is free of interest to the student while enrolled at least half time, during the grace period after enrollment ends and during periods of authorized deferment. The Federal Unsubsidized Student Loan is not interest-free at any time. The student is responsible for the interest from the date of disbursement. However, interest payments are deferred while the student is in school at least half time, during the grace period, and during authorized periods of deferments. The interest will continue to accrue and will be added (capitalized) to the principal balance once repayment begins. Both loan programs have a six-month grace period after the student graduates or drops below half-time enrollment. That means a student has six months before he or she has to start making payments on the loans.

Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note (MPN)

Before a student receives loans funds, the student will be required to complete entrance counseling, ensuring that the student understands the obligation to repay the loan and sign a master promissory note (MPN) agreeing to terms of the loan.

Exit Counseling

Exit Counseling is required when the student graduates, leaves school, or drops below half-time enrollment. Exit counseling provides important information needed in preparing to repay federal student loan(s). The student will need to provide the name, address, e-mail address, and telephone number for their closest living relative, two references who live in the U.S., and current or expected employer (if known).


The Federal Work-Study Program is a campus-based program that provides part-time employment for students who have financial need. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is required for financial need to be determined. Upon completion of the FAFSA, students should contact the Financial Aid office to see if they are eligible to participate in the work-study program. Available work-study jobs are posted throughout the School. The available positions usually consist of employment opportunities in an office or lab on the Shorter College campus; selected off-campus community service positions may also available. Students should contact the supervisor indicated on the job description to apply for the position.

Upon getting a work-study job, students should complete all necessary forms with their supervisor and submit such to the work-study coordinator along with personnel documents that are required. In general, students can work a maximum of 20 hours weekly and receive a paycheck bi-monthly. The amount a student can earn in a year is determined by the amount of financial need and other aid awarded as part of the financial aid package.


This grant is administered by the Arkansas Department of Higher Education. The grant is awarded based on financial need. Students apply by completing the FAFSA and the ADHE YOUniversal application available at The grant is available to all undergraduate students who meet the designated income criteria. It includes traditional and non-traditional students. Students in qualified certificate programs are now eligible for this grant.


This grant is administered by the Arkansas Department of Higher Education. The Academic Challenge Program provides scholarships to Arkansas residents pursuing a higher education. Funded in large part by the Arkansas Scholarship Lottery, the Academic Challenge Scholarship is available to students regardless of their academic status, whether just graduating from high school, currently enrolled in college, enrolling in college for the first time, or re-enrolling after a period of time out of college.


Four scholarships of $750 per year in honor Bennie Smith will be awarded to a deserving Shorter College student during the second semester of each year.  To qualify for the scholarship, the student must meet the following requirements: (1) maintain a grade point of 2.0 or better; (2) demonstrate qualities of good citizenship; (3) exhibit hard working and self-directing skills; and (4) be a resident of Pulaski County as the first preference.


Students with physical or mental disabilities may be eligible to attend college under the sponsorship of Rehabilitation Services. Call Arkansas Rehabilitation Services at (501) 686-2800 for more information.


Shorter College has been approved by federal and state agencies governing Veterans Affairs to provide training to veterans. Qualified veterans and their dependents may be entitled to educational assistance programs from the Department of Veterans Affairs to pay their tuition for the approved programs. Veterans should apply for admission to the College and visit with the College’s Certifying Official or the Registrar’s Office prior to enrolling in classes to apply for benefits. If approved, veterans will be required to maintain full-time status (12 credit hours) per semester and to follow their chosen degree plan to be eligible for full benefits. Veterans should be aware that any alterations to course plans or course schedules may affect their benefits.  Courses completed with a passing grade may not be repeated.

All veterans and dependents should be aware that payment arrangements must be made by the Shorter College payment deadline each semester. While some types of VA educational benefits pay for a student’s tuition and fees in full, many do not. It is up to the student to remain aware of the type of funding and financial responsibilities he or she holds in ensuring that tuition and fee requirements are met by the appropriate deadlines.


Please go to for more information on student loans, terms and conditions, repayment options, and estimating payments. Printed material may be requested and obtained from the Office at Financial Aid at Shorter College at 604 North Locust Street, North Little Rock, Arkansas 72114.